Pai Lin Li Travel Grant winner, Victoria, describes the structural potential of concrete in 3D printing.
Her presentation covers:
Definition of 3D printing:
- The use of digital files to create 3D objects built by using successive layers of material.
Why should we use concrete in 3D printing:
- How doing away with traditional formwork could reduce costs, save time and deliver beautiful and efficient designs.
Current 3D concrete printing methods:
- Layering technique
- Powder bed and building material
- Mesh reinforcement cage
How to progress 3D printing to construction and how structural engineers can contribute :
- Having the right building codes and standards
- Proof of viability
- Clear contracts and responsibilities
- The need for a cultural shift
Victoria also wrote about 3D printing concrete in The Structural Engineer in 2017.